Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Book Reviews: WWII Edition

Something that you should know about me is that I love books.  All kinds of books.  Something else that you should know about me is that I'm kind of a geek about WWII.  I like to read fiction and non-fiction about this time period.  I've watched every single Band of Brothers episode.  And back before I got so busy with kids and sports I would even watch WWII marathons on the History Channel.  I realize this sounds more fitting to an elderly man rather than a young(ish) woman, but there you have it.  I think it is something about good triumphing over evil, of entire countries banding together to strive towards a common goal that just appeals to me.  And hey, we all have our quirks.

Now that you have a little bit of back story on my WWII fascination I'll share with you my top book picks of this genre:



The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1)

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons.  This book is actually the first in a trilogy and it is set in WWII Russia.  This book really gives a great perspective on what it was like for Russians living through WWII.  This book is dramatic, quite bleak at times, with a powerful love story woven through it.  It is an epic in every sense of the word.  And the best part is that if you love it like I loved it, you'll have two more books waiting for you when you're through!

The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  This book is actually a young adult book that I chose to read for a book club I was a part of.  The story is narrated by Death (yes, it is told from the view of the Grim Reaper) and the main characters are German.  It was very interesting to read a book from a German viewpoint and the book was very gripping.  This one had me crying at the end.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is based on a true story about the life of Louis Zamperini.  Zamperini was a rough kid from the wrong side of the tracks with enough guts and determination to get him to Berlin for the 1936 Olympics and then into the Airforce where he rode in a bomber plane.  His plane gets shot down over the ocean and a large portion of the book is devoted to his unbelievable will to survive being adrift on the ocean and what comes after that (I won't give it away).  I couldn't put this book down and highly recommend it.  Even if you don't have the same fascination with WWII as I do, this one will inspire you.

Echoes

Echoes by Danielle Steel.  Now, don't dismiss this one just because you see it is written by Danielle Steel.  This is one of the first books I ever read of hers and I loved it.  It spans two generations and takes you from the fear of being a Jew in Nazi Germany through the French Resistance.  

Black Cross

Black Cross by Greg Iles.  This one was actually recommended to me by my husband so any men out there will be sure to like it too.  It is more action oriented and suspenseful with the main character having a mission to infiltrate a concentration camp to destroy a potent gas that is being developed.  This one kept me on the edge of my seat.

Honorable Mentions:

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy
Resistance by Anita Shreve

This is not an exhaustive list of the books I've read set during the WWII time period but it includes some of the most memorable ones.  Now that I've typed them out in black and white I feel even nerdier than ever.  Oh, well.  If you've read any of these already or decide to read one based on my recommendation I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book(s).  If you've read any you think I would like but don't have listed please send the title my way.  

Happy reading!

                        Melissa

3 comments:

  1. quite the subject for your first book reviews and something I did not know about you.

    I wouldn't normally gravitate toward this type of book but you make them sound intriguing. I think you may smarten us all up. :)

    by the way, my grandfather wrote a book (not published) about his experiences in the Navy during WWII. he was aboard the USS Northampton when it was sunk by the Japanese and his survival story is pretty incredible. maybe you'd be interested in reading it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I'd definitely be interested in reading it. It sounds fascinating. What format does he have it in?

      Delete
    2. well, it's very high tech. have you heard of photocopy? :)

      Delete